Mr. Aditya Puri is the Former Managing Director of HDFC Bank since its inception in 1994. His vision was to create a “World Class Indian Bank”. And, he did. HDFC Bank is one of India’s top banks and a truly World Class Indian Bank for many years now.
From the range of products to their delivery to sheer convenience of banking, HDFC Bank today has made significant strides in the banking space, and was recognized as India’s Most Valuable Brand for three consecutive years 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2017, in a study conducted by Millward Brown, a research agency of the WPP group.
HDFC Bank’s branch network is also going deeper into the hinterland, with 52% of all its branches now located in rural and semi-urban areas, offering the entire range of banking products in these markets.
Mr. Puri has been voted India’s Best CEO by FinanceAsia, a leading global financial magazine in its Best Companies in Asia Poll. Also, leading business newspaper Business Standard has adjudged Mr. Puri, Banker of the Year for 2015-16.
Aditya Puri Education
Mr. Aditya Puri, aged 69 years, holds a Bachelor’s degree in Commerce from Punjab University and is an Associate Member of the Institute of Chartered Accountants of India.
Mr Puri is a commerce graduate from Punjab University and a qualified Chartered Accountant.
Aditya Puri Experience
Prior to joining the Bank, Mr. Puri was the Chief Executive Officer of Citibank, Malaysia from 1992 to 1994. Mr. Puri has been the Managing Director of the Bank since September 1994.
Mr. Puri has over four decades of experience in the banking sector in
India and abroad. Mr. Puri has provided outstanding leadership as the Managing
Director and has contributed significantly to enable the Bank scale phenomenal heights under his stewardship.
During his 24 years at the helm, Mr. Puri has created a culture of excellence in the bank. A great advocate of technology and convenience banking, he is credited with using technology to change the way banking is done in India.
Today, the concept of digital is embedded into the DNA of the organization. Mr. Puri has been an instrumental part of the digital transformation, launching the bank’s ‘Go Digital – Bank Aapki Muthhi Mein’ campaign in December 2014.
Prior to HDFC Bank, Mr. Puri was Chief Executive of Citi Bank, Malaysia. He was with Citibank NA for almost 20 years where he handled several functions across many countries including India, Greece, Saudi Arabia, Hong Kong, Korea, Taiwan and China.
In Hong Kong he was responsible for Credit & Market Risk for North Asia and also included positioning Citibank for the take-over of Hong Kong by China. Mr. Puri was Country Head, Institutional Banking for India, Sri Lanka, Nepal and Bangladesh.
Hall of Fame By ICAI
During the financial year 2019-20, Mr. Puri was inducted into the Chartered
Accountants (CA) Hall of Fame by the Institute of Chartered Accountants of India (ICAI). He is the first member of ICAI to be honoured with this award. He was also ranked as the ‘Best CEO’ at FinanceAsia’s Survey 2020.
Awards Won by Puri
The numerous awards won by Mr. Puri and the Bank are a testimony to the tremendous credibility that Mr. Puri has built for himself and the Bank over the
Aditya Puri in HDFC Bank
The Bank has made good and consistent progress on key parameters like balance sheet size, total deposits, net revenues, earnings per share and net profit during Mr. Puri’s tenure.
The rankings achieved by the Bank amongst all Indian banks with regard to market capitalization, profit after tax and balance sheet size remain amongst the top 10. During his tenure, Mr. Puri has led the Bank through two major mergers in the Indian banking industry i.e. merger of Times Bank Limited and Centurion Bank of Punjab Limited with HDFC Bank Limited.
The subsequent integrations have been smooth and seamless under his inspired
leadership. Mr. Puri’s vision and strategy have been the driving force behind the Bank’s foray into the world of “digital banking” resulting in the roll out of several digital banking products.
Rural Banking is a mission that is very close to Mr Puri’s heart. Under his guidance, HDFC Bank is empowering millions of people, particularly women, at the Bottom of the Pyramid in rural India through its Sustainable Livelihood Initiative. Through this holistic initiative, the Bank provides access to livelihood finance, occupational training, financial literacy, credit counseling and market linkages to over 81 lakh participants.
Puri Net worth Salary
Mr. Puri, along with his relatives, holds 7,796,251 equity shares in the HDFC Bank as on March 31, 2020.
Awards & Accolades
Mr. Puri, has been conferred the Lifetime Achievement Award by Businessworld magazine for his contribution to banking. Also, Mr. Puri has been featured in Fortune Businessperson of the year list 2017, an annual ranking of world’s top 20 heads of companies.
At 18th position, Mr. Puri is the only head of an Indian company on the coveted list. HDFC Bank has been ranked among top 5 companies that have shaped Asia, and the World by Forbes magazine.
In its profile of HDFC Bank, the magazine writes: “Unlike most of the companies on this list, HDFC, India’s largest private sector bank, is largely the vision of one man. Aditya Puri is the Managing Director of HDFC, assuming the position in September 1994, making him the longest-serving head of any private bank in the country and the only head that HDFC has ever had.”
Mr. Aditya Puri has received many awards and recognitions in his illustrious career. Some of them are:
- Lifetime Achievement Awards, 2018 – Businessworld
- World’s 30 Best CEOs, 2015, 2016, 2017 – Barron’s
- Best CEO in Asia 2014, 2015, 2016 – Finance Asia Poll
- Banker of the Year- Business Standard for the years 2016, 2013, 2008
- Lifetime Achievement Award – The Financial Express Best Banks Awards 2015-16
- Outstanding Business Leader of the year 2015-16 – CNBC TV 18 IBLA
- Annual ranking of world’s top 50 heads of companies – Fortune
- Business Leader of the Year 2015- AIMA Managing India Awards
- Best CEO, BFSI sector in the Business Today-PwC survey of India’s Best CEOs 2013
- Listed among the top 10 Most “Valueable CEOs in India according to the Business World Survey in 2013”.
- Listed among the Top 10 Most Powerful CEOs in India, 2013 by The Economic Times Corporate Dossier in its Most Powerful CEOs survey conducted by IMRB International.
- Voted Best CEO in Asia in the banking sector based – Institutional Investor in July 2013.
- Banker of the Year 2013 – FE Best Banks Awards.
- Business Leader of the year 2010 – Economic Times Awards for Corporate Excellence.
- The only Indian Banker on Institutional Investor’s Asian captains of Finance List 2010.
- Business India Businessman of the year 2009.
- Best Innovative Banker – FE INDIA’s Best Banks Awards 2009.
- Best CEO in India 2009: Finance Asia annual poll of Investors and Analysts.
- GQ India’s Man of the Year (Business).
- CNN-IBN Indian Businessman of the Year 2008.